Getting your Baby Registered

Share on LinkedIn
Share on Facebook

Can you help me?

Q:My husband and I have just had a baby. We want to visit our relatives in our home country as soon as possible. How can we get a passport for the baby?

A: When foreign couples have a baby in Japan there is quite a lot of work to do to get the baby a passport and several neccesary steps before that to get the baby registered.

■ At first, take the birth certificate issued by your hospital to your local City Hall or Ward Office and apply for an official birth registration certificate.

Next, register the birth and apply for a passport for the child at the Embassy or Consulate of the parent’s native country. Procedures, fees, and processing time vary from country to country.

After the passport is issued and within 30 days of birth, an application to acquire status of residence for the child must be filed at an Immigration Bureau to issue a certificate of eligibility.

Within 60 days, apply for an alien registration card for the child at your local City Hall or Ward Office.

Finally, go to the immigration office again to get “status of residence” approval on the child’s passport and apply for a re-entry permit.

For further details please contact your municipal government office, immigration bureau, or embassy.

To learn more about the Nagoya International Center,
please watch our video.

Related Tags:

Your feedback is appreciated. Please note that we are unable to respond to inquiries sent via this form.

Did you find the information on this page useful? (Required)

 Yes No

Please send us your feedback and comments.*Please DO NOT SEND INQUIRIES using this form. For inquiries, please call us on 052-581-0100 or e-mail us from our contact page.

Enter the code as it is shown. This helps prevent automated access.