Motorbikes are divided into four categories according to the amount of exhaust put out. 50cc & 125cc bikes are not allowed on expressways.
|Eligibility||People with a regular (普通) driver’s license may also drive motorbikes of 50cc or less.||People with a regular driver’s license (普通) are exempt from the written test.||People with a regular driver’s license (普通) or 125cc license are exempt from the written test.||People 18 years and older who pass
|People 16 years and older who pass test criteria.|
|Tests||At the Aichi Driving Test Center
Written test (48 questions / 30 min)
90% pass mark
No driving test
Must take 3 hrs of the Safe Driving Course at the Center.
|At the Aichi Driving Test Center
Written test (95 questions/ 50 min)
90% pass mark
|Alien Registration Card ＋photocopy, license Application Form, photo (head shot, 30mm x 24mm), inkan if you have one, an HB pencil, eraser, black ink pen and proper riding clothes|
|Current Japanese drivers license if you have one, certificates from the driving school which you studied at and graduated from (if applicable), and proper riding clothes|
Safe Driving Course: 4,050 Yen
Processing fee: 1,750 Yen
|Exam: 3,300 Yen
Emergency course: 3,600 Yen
Use of test vehicle: 1,100 Yen
Driving course: 12,300 Yen
Aptitude Test criteria:
There are certain aspects that must be met, these are: proper eye sight, hearing, ability to distinguish color and driving ability. Applicants at the Aichi Driving Practice Center will only need to undergo a simple eye test.
- For 50cc motorbikes: Both eyes must have vision of 0.5 or better, use of glasses and/or contacts acceptable. For those people who only can see well out of one eye, the other eye must have vision of 0.5 or better and be able to see left and right for 150 degrees.
- For 125cc and above motorbikes: Both eyes must have overall vision of 0.7 or better, at least 0.3 in each eye (use of glasses and/ or contacts acceptable.) For those people who only have 0.3 in one eye or can only see out of one eye, the other eye must have vision of 0.7 or better and be able to see left and right for 150 degrees.
Exam dates and times
- Weekdays only, 9:00-12:00, 12:45-13:30 except for large motorbikes, which have a pre-test.
- People with large motorbikes must show that they can pick up and drag their bikes prior to taking the regular test(s). If one does not pass this test, they cannot continue to the regular test(s).
- Registration for this pre-test is held on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:45 to 9:10 in the morning. Please show up at counter #17 during these times.
- *For those people holding licenses from their home country, it is necessary to bring a translation of that license in addition to the license with you to the Center.
To learn more about the Nagoya International Center,
please watch our video.