In Nagoya, the system of garbage sorting and collection is strictly categorized.
Place garbage bags at specified places by the specified time as is detailed below. Specified plastic bags (Burnable refuse, Non-Burnable refuse, & Recyclable Refuse) can be purchased at supermarkets and convenience stores. Pamphlets about the garbage sorting system are available in 5 languages (English, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese & Korean) at the 3F Information Service Corner of the Nagoya International Center.
Taking a few seconds to think about and separate your garbage could reduce your burnable and un-burnable garbage by as much as 20%! For example an empty water bottle can be recycled efficiently – cap (plastic), label (plastic), bottle (PET).
☆Nagoya City burnable, non-burnable, recyclable, and large garbage collection days (in Japanese)
Depending on each household/ station collection. Bags should be out by 08:00 (by 07:00 in Naka Ward)
The linked pages below are in 3 sections –
- First section – burnable 可燃
- Second Section – non-burnable 不燃
- Third Section – recyclable 資源
■Chikusa Ward ■Higashi Ward ■Kita Ward ■Nishi Ward ■Nakamura Ward ■Naka Ward
■Showa Ward ■Mizuho Ward ■Atusta Ward ■Nakagawa Ward ■Minato Ward ■Minami Ward
■Moriyama Ward ■Midori Ward ■Meito Ward ■Tempaku Ward
☆Refuse (Burnable refuse/ Non Burnable refuse)
|Burnable refuse||garden refuse, vegetable matter, kitchen waste. Clothing, waste paper, paper diapers, etc. Waste made from synthetic fibers, artificial leather, and rubber will be collected with other burnable refuse. Plastic buckets (ポリバケツ) made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE) ポリエチレン, CD & DVD cases, plastic toys, video tapes, beach balls, and similar items.||Twice a week.
Each household puts out the specified plastic garbage bag.
|Non-Burnable refuse||Refuse smaller than 30x30x30 cm, and refuse that is incombustible.
Plastics, glass, rubber products, ceramics, small-sized metal products, spray cans, cassette-type gas (containers) bottles, etc.
|Once a month.
Each household puts out the specified plastic garbage bag.
|Dispose of spray cans and cassette-type gas containers separately.* see below|
– Collected twice a week on same days as burnable refuse.
– Put in a specified plastic bag for recyclable waste (although any clear, transparent plastic bag is acceptable).
– Put out in specified collection place, separated from burnable items, by 08:00 on the day of collection (by 07:00 for residents of Naka Ward)
Expanded to include:
- - all types of spray can スプレー缶
- - cassette-type gas containers カセット式ガスボンベ
- - used lighters 使い捨てライター
- - non-recyclable lithium batteries 充電できないリチウム電池
- - solid fuel cans 缶入りの固形燃料
If you would like to dispose of a spray can make sure that it is completely empty (do NOT pierce a hole in the side) before disposing of it. Additionally, make sure lighters and fuel cans are completely empty before disposal.
|Glass Bottles||Empty glass bottles (from beverages and food).||Once a week at station collection. Put items directly into blue baskets.||Remove caps, empty bottles and rinse them with water.|
|Cans||Beverage and food cans (cans of beer, juice, salad oil, powdered milk, cookies, and other food, etc.).||Once a week at station collection in specified plastic garbage bags in Chikusa, Higashi, Kita, Nishi, Nakamura, Naka, Moriyama, Midori, Meito & Tempaku wards.
Put items directly into yellow baskets in Showa, Mizuho, Atsuta, Nakagawa, Minato, Minami wards.
|Empty cans and rinse them with water.|
|Plastic (containers and packages)||Bottles, cups and packs, trays, nets, plastic bags and wrapping, cushioning materials, etc.||Once a week from in front of each household / apartment||Remove dirt from containers. If dirt cannot be removed from containers, dispose of them as incombustible refuse.|
|Paper (containers and packages)||Paper cartons, paper containers and cups, cardboard, packing materials, paper bags, sake and juice paper cartons (coated inside with aluminum foil).||Once a week at station collection in specified plastic garbage bags.||Remove the dirt from containers. If dirt cannot be removed from, containers, dispose of them as combustible refuse.|
|PET bottles||PET bottles from soft drinks, alcoholic beverages, soy sauce, etc. with the PET mark.||Once a week at station collection in specified plastic garbage bags.||Remove caps, rinse bottles lightly with water and crush PET bottles.|
|Paper cartons||Milk and juice paper cartons (not coated inside with aluminum foil).||Collection boxes.||Wash out the inside of the cartons, cut open, and air out until dry.|
☆Large-sized garbage (Waste larger than 30 x 30 x 30 cm)
- Collected once a month per request by telephone, pick up fee charged.
- Place: Designated location near residence
- Day: Depends on district
- Contact: Large-sized Waste Center (Toll-free 0120-758-530 in Japanese only) – Service hours 9:00 – 17:00
(except for Saturdays, Sundays, and at the end and beginning of the year.
Once requests are placed, additions may be made up to one week ahead of the day of collection.
- 500 Yen: items such as bicycles, furniture, kerosene stove, etc.
- 250 yen: items such as carpet, futons (bedding), vacuum cleaners, etc.
- The city will not collect air conditioners, regular TVs, refrigerators, or washing machines (recycled under the “Law for Recycling Specific Kinds of Home Appliances”).
☆Paper items (Newspapers, Magazines, Cardboard boxes, etc.) and Clothes
See “Recycle Station” and “Koshi Recycle Center” mentioned hereafter.
Each district, community and PTA may also collect these recyclable goods.
Batteries: Incombustible refuse
Button batteries : Collection boxes at electric appliance stores, ward offices, schools, etc.
☆For inquiries about the sorting and disposal of garbage
Operations Division, Environmental Affairs Bureau, City of Nagoya
TEL : (052) 972-2394 (Japanese only), Mon. – Fri. 8:45 -17 :15
Environmental Works Office Mon. – Sat. 8:00 – 16:20
- Collection day – shu-shu-bi 収集日
- Burnable Refuse – kanen gomi 可燃ごみ
- Non-Burnable refuse – funen gomi 不燃ごみ
- Recyclable waste – shigen gomi 資源ごみ
- Over-size Refuse – sodai gomi 粗大ごみ
- Container & wrappers – youki-housou 容器包装
- Spray can – supurei kan スプレー缶
- Cassette-type gas containers – casetto shiki gasu bonbe カセット式ガスボンベ
- PET bottles – petto botoru ペットボトル
- Empty glass bottles – aki bin 空きびん
- Empty cans – aki kan 空き缶
- Plastic – purasutikku プラスチック
- Paper – kami 紙
- Boxes – danboru 段ボール
- Paper cartons – kami pakku 紙パック
To learn more about the Nagoya International Center,
please watch our video.