Pregnancy and Birth in Nagoya

Share on LinkedIn
Share on Facebook

Please follow the procedures listed below to ensure a safe pregnancy and a healthy child.

■Pregnancy Testing

If you think you may be pregnant you may prefer to purchase a do-it-yourself pregnancy test called a ninshin-kensa (妊娠検査) before going to see a doctor. The tests are readily available from pharmacies, however, instructions are usually in Japanese. Depending on the results, you may then wish to consult an English-speaking gynecologist.


  • 1. Go to a hospital and obtain a certificate of pregnancy (ninshin-todoke) from a doctor.
  • 2. Go to your local Public Health Center (Hoken-jo) and present the certificate of pregnancy.
  • 3. Obtain a “Maternal and Child Health Handbook (Boshi Kenkō Techō 母子健康手帳)” from your local  Public Health Center (English, Portuguese, Spanish, Chinese & Korean  versions are available). Your health and the progress of your pregnancy will be recorded in this booklet, so be sure to keep it in a safe place. This booklet is used throughout Japan; it is valid even if you move elsewhere in Japan. You must bring this booklet with you whenever you receive medical care or register with a medical institution.

■Subsidized Pregnancy Health Checks 妊婦健康診査の助成回数拡大

  • From April 1, 2009, the number of subsidized health checks for pregnant women (in Nagoya City) that are already in possession of a “Maternal and Child Health Handbook (Boshi Kenkō Techō 母子健康手帳)” – issued by their local Public Health Center – will be increased from 5 to 14.
    • To claim these additional check-up vouchers please inquire in person at your current medical institution or local Public Health Center and present your Maternal and Child Health Handbook .
  • From April 2012, the City of Nagoya will be subsiding 2 additional ultrasonography (ultrasound) examinations for pregnant women to bring the total number of subsided ultrasound to 4.


  • 1. When you give birth, obtain a birth certificate from the attending doctor and submit it to your local ward office within 14 days, which will then officially certify the birth (this can be found on the first page inside the “Maternal and Child Health Handbook, Boshi Kenkō Techō”).
  • 2. If either or both of the parents are not Japanese citizens, you must report the birth to the embassy(ies) or consulate(s) of the non-Japanese parent(s).
  • 3. Within 14 days of birth, register the birth at your local ward office (if one parent is Japanese).
  • 4. Within 30 days of the birth, apply for a visa (status of residence) for the child (if neither parent is Japanese).

■Costs and Health Insurance

You should be aware that the public health insurance systems do not cover the costs of pregnancy and giving birth, however, if you are covered by Japanese health insurance you will be able to claim (as of January 2009) a lump-sum reimbursement of 380,000 Yen (350,000 Yen in some cases). Fees for delivery differ between medical institutions, and if you have trouble paying for delivery expenses you may be entitled to a free or discounted delivery, at a designated hospital. People that may be entitled are those who are receiving welfare benefits, or those who are exempt from paying residential tax. Foreigners are also eligible and your status of residence does not matter, simply apply at your local welfare office before delivery.


To learn more about the Nagoya International Center,
please watch our video.

Your feedback is appreciated. Please note that we are unable to respond to inquiries sent via this form.

Did you find the information on this page useful? (Required)

 Yes No

Please send us your feedback and comments.*Please DO NOT SEND INQUIRIES using this form. For inquiries, please call us on 052-581-0100 or e-mail us from our contact page.

Enter the code as it is shown. This helps prevent automated access.