Figure skaters – Miki Ando (2011 World Champion), Mao Asada (2010 World Champion), and Kanako Murakami (2009 World Junior Champion) are all Nagoya natives, together with Aichi-native Akiko Suzuki (2011 NHK Trophy Winner) they are currently 4 of the top 12 best skaters in the World. Where better to take to the ice than the world’s number-one skating hotspot!
- Please note that gloves are required at all locations.
- Opening times and prices are subject to change without notice.
★The Nagoya Sports Center Rink 名古屋スポーツセンター
Indoor ice rink (56m x 26m) in Naka Ward, Nagoya
- Website: http://www12.ocn.ne.jp/‾skate
- Rental Skates: 400 Yen / pair. Figure skates (16cm – 30cm), hockey skates (21cm – 29cm), and children’s twin blade skates are available.
- Admission: 1400 Yen for adults, 1200 Yen for HS & JHS students, and 800 Yen for elementary students & pre-schoolers.
- Open: Open year round (11:30 – 18:00); weekends, holidays, school holidays (10:00 – 18:00).
- Access: a 3 minute walk from Osu Kannon Subway Station, exit 2. Parking is available for visitors in the rink’s underground car park (3 hours / 100 Yen). For more information call 052-321-1591.
- Map: http://bit.ly/nagoyasc
★Moricoro Park Ice Rink モリコロパーク アイススケート場
Indoor ice rink (60m x 30m) in Nagakute, Aichi
- Website: http://bit.ly/mcrinkhp
- Rental Skates: 300 Yen / pair; skate sizes 15cm to 32cm are available.
- Admission: Entry is 1400 Yen for adults, 800 Yen for children 3 to JHS. Monthly pass 14,000 Yen for adults, 8000 Yen for children.
- Open: Weekdays (10:00 – 18:00), weekends & holidays (10:00 – 18:00).
- Closed: January 7,8,10, January 27 – February 1, Mondays (except holidays & school holidays) & other designated days.
- Other: Free 30-minute beginners lessons on Weekends & holidays (14:00 – 14:30). Maximum 40 places, reception from 13:30.
- Access: A 10 minute walk from the Linimo’s Ai-chikyuhaku Kinen Koen Station. Parking is available – 500 Yen per vehicle.
- Map: http://bit.ly/moriskate
Indoor ice rink (60m x 30m) in Toyohashi, Aichi
- Website: www.aqua-toyohashi.com
- Rental Skates: 300 Yen / pair; skate sizes 15cm to 31cm are available.
- Admission: Entry is 1000 Yen for adults, 500 Yen for children 3 to JHS.
- Open: until May 6 (09:00 – 20:00).
- Closed: Mondays & other designated days. Free skating times vary – check http://bit.ly/aquatoyoSCH for full opening times.
- Access: Located in Toyohashi Sōgo Sports Koen: a 20 minute bus ride from Toyohashi Station, east exit – stop 7.
★Nippon Gaishi Arena 日本ガイシ スポーツプラザ ガイシアリーナ
Indoor ice rink (60m x 30m) in Minami Ward, Nagoya
- Rental Skates: 300 Yen / pair Sizes: 15cm – 28cm
- Admission: 1400 Yen for adults (aged 15+), 700 Yen for JHS & elementary students, 400 Yen for seniors, free admission for pre-schoolers.
- Open: Until March 31. Tuesdays – Saturdays (10:00 – 20:30); Sundays and holidays (10:00 – 18:00).
- Closed: Dec 29 – Jan 2, and Mondays (except Jan 9)
- Occasionally the arena hosts competitions, closing the rink to the general pubic. Call the rink at 052-614-6211 (Japanese only) to confirm the opening times for the day you want to go.
- Access: a 5 minute walk from JR Kasadera Station 笠寺.
- Map: http://bit.ly/ngarena
★Howa Sports Land邦和スポーツランド
Indoor ice rink (60m x 30m) in Minato Ward, Nagoya
- Website: www.howasportsland.com
- Rental Skates: 400 Yen / pair; sizes 15cm to 31cm are available.
- Admission: Entry is 1400 Yen for adults, 800 Yen for children 3 to JHS; 200 Yen off regular admission if enter within 2 hours before closing. Evening discounts are available. Monthly pass 10,000 Yen for adults, 8000 Yen for children.
- Open: Tuesday – Saturday (13:00 – 18:00), school holidays (10:00 – 18:00), Sundays & holidays (10:00 – 16:00).
- Closed: December 31 & January 1. Mondays & other designated days.
- Access: Located in Minato Ku, 200m west of Minato Kuyakusho Subway Station’s, exit 2. Map: http://bit.ly/howasp
★Asahigaoka Skate Rinkあさひが丘スケートリンク
Open-air ice rink in Nishio City, Aichi.
- Website: www.katch.ne.jp/~ichi-arc/
- Admission: Adults 1200 Yen, HS & JHS students 900 Yen, children 700 Yen. Half-price discount coupon available on website (skates are extra).
- Rental Skates: 600 Yen / pair. Figure skates (15cm – 29cm) & hockey skates (23cm – 28cm) are available.
- Open: Daily until Sunday, February 26. Weekdays (12:00 – 17:00).
Weekends, holidays, & school holidays (10:00 – 17:00)
- Access: A 15 minute walk from (Meitestu) Kodomonokuni Station こどもの国.
The above information is from the Nagoya Calendar December 2011 edition. Times and prices may vary to those published.