Pure mountain water, quality local-grown rice and a cold winter are the essential factors in making tasty sake, and Takayama City is blessed with the perfect brewing conditions.
Daily brewery tours run from 10:00 to 12:00 and from 13:00 to 16:00 between January 17 and February 27.
There has been commercial sake brewing in Takayama City since the early 1700’s and there are 6 breweries in the city open to visitors, each selling its own unique variety. Between January 17 and February 27, daily brewery tours run from 10:00 to 12:00 and from 13:00 to 16:00 during the winter production season.
Breweries are open to the public one week at a time and provide a free guided tour that includes sake sampling. All the breweries are within 15 minutes walk of JR Takayama Station and are located within a few blocks of each other. For full access information and other things to do in the area see www.hida.jp/english
- January 17 to 23 – Kawashiri Brewery 川尻酒造場 (Tel:0577-32-0143)
- January 24 to 30 – Niki Brewery 二木酒造 (Tel:0577-32-0021)
- January 31 to February 6 – Hirase Brewery 平瀬酒造店 (Tel:0577-34-0010)
- February 7 to 13 – Funasaka Brewery舩坂酒造店 (Tel:0577-32-0016)
- February 14 to 20 – Hirata Brewery 平田酒造場 (Tel:0577-32-0352)
- February 21 to 27 – Harada Brewery 原田酒造場 (Tel:0577-32-0120)
★How to get there
- Access By Highway Bus – Express coaches depart for Takayama daily at 07:30, 08:30, 09:30, 10:30, 13:00, 14:30, 16:00, 17:30, 20:30 from bus stop # 7 on the 3F of Nagoya Station’s Meitetsu Bus Center; takes about 2.5 hours and costs 2900 Yen one way or 5000 Yen round trip. Reservations are required and can be made at the bus center, by calling the bus center at 052-582-0489 (Japanese only), or by booking online at www.highwaybus.com.
- Access By Train: From platform 2 of JR Nagoya Station, take the Hida Express (ひだ) on JR Takayama Line directly to Takayama. Trains depart every 60 to 90 minutes between 07:43 and 19:48; seat reservations are required before boarding. Costs 5670 Yen one-way and takes just over 2 hours.